The following statement was issued to the College by Dean Kishor Wasan:
Good Afternoon College,
I am delighted to be able to officially announce that Dr. Jane Alcorn has been appointed to, and has accepted, the five-year term position of Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Affairs in the College of Pharmacy and Nutrition. Dr. Alcorn will assume the duties of this position beginning July 1, 2016.
As many of you know, Jane is a long time faculty member of the College, with an extensive research background and a wealth of senior level University leadership experience. Jane’s leadership within the College as the Graduate Chair in Pharmacy and Chair of the Drug Discovery and Development Research Group has, in part, run consecutively with her university level experience as Chair of the Animal Research Ethics Board and her impeccable five-years of service as the University Veterinarian. Throughout this time, Jane has continued to manage her own robust research program. Clearly Dr. Alcorn is a capable, competent and efficient scholar who, through the interview process for this position, made it very clear that she is able to get the job done!
Jane’s vision for this position is equally exemplary - to build teaching and research capacity in the College while providing a spirit of service and stewardship within the College, the University, the communities in which we live and beyond. Her collaborative and inclusive nature will serve her well as she assists to lead the College as the Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Affairs.
As Dean and Chair of the search committee for this position, I want to take this opportunity to commend the full Faculty Search committee for their support of Dr. Alcorn’s appointment to this important leadership position in the College. More specifically I would like to personally thank those who sat as members of the search sub-committee, as follows:
- Heather Heavin, Associate Dean, College of Law - One member appointed by the Provost and Vice-President Academic
- Thomas Rotter, appointed by acclamation from the Clinical, Community and Administrative stream – One of two members of the faculty of the College selected by the faculty of the College
- Gordon Zello, appointed by acclamation from the Pharmaceutical and Nutritional Sciences stream – One of two members of the faculty of the College selected by the faculty of the College
- Arielle Sherman - One undergraduate student selected by the College’s student society in cases where the Associate Dean is clearly involved in student affairs in the College
- Waleed Abdul Aziz Mohammed Saeid - One graduate student selected by the GSA where the Associate Dean has responsibility for research
I believe that we, as a College, have made an outstanding decision in the appointment Dr. Jane Alcorn as the Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Affairs for the College of Pharmacy and Nutrition and I look forward to working with Jane during her tenure in this position.
Thank you, once again, for your participation in this search process.