Dr. Evans’s research program focuses on multiple sclerosis (MS), with a particular emphasis on the epidemiology and pharmacoepidemiology of the disease. She is a principal investigator with the Cameco MS Neurosciences Research Centre. Current research projects and collaborations are funded by the MS Society of Canada and the National MS Society (U.S.) and include:
- Multi-province study examining the impact of adherence to the MS disease-modifying therapies on clinical and health care utilization outcomes
- Multi-province study examining the potential existence of a prodromal phase in MS
- Assessing safety and monitoring in patients taking oral multiple sclerosis treatments
- D. Melesse, RA Marrie, JF Blanchard, N. Yu, C. Evans. 2017. Persistence to disease-modifying therapies for multiple sclerosis in a Canadian cohort. Patient Preference and Adherence, 11, 1093-1101.
- C Evans, RA Marrie, F Zhu, S Leung, X Lu, E Kingwell, Y Zhao, H Tremlett. 2017. Adherence to Disease Modifying Therapies for Multiple Sclerosis and Subsequent Hospitalizations, Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 26, 702-711
- K McKay, C Evans, J Fisk, S Patten, K Fiest, RA Marrie, H Tremlett. 2017. Disease modifying therapies and adherence in multiple sclerosis: comparing patient self-report with pharmacy records. Neuroepidemiology, 48, 124-130
- H de Jong, E Kingwell, A Shirani, C Tervaert, R Hupperts, Y Zhao, C Evans, ML van der Kop, A Traboulsee, P Gustafson, J Petkau, RA Marrie, the BC MS Clinic Neurologists, H Tremlett. 2017. Evaluating the safety of beta-interferons in MS: a series of nested case- control studies. Neurology, 88, 2310-2320
- J Wijnands, E Kingwell, F Zhu, Y Zhao, T Högg, K Stadnyk, O Ekuma, X Lu, C Evans, J Fisk, RA Marrie. 2017. The multiple sclerosis prodrome: health care utilization increases in the five years before a first demyelinating event. Lancet Neurology, 16, 445-451
- K. McKay, H. Tremlett, S. Patten, J. Fisk, C. Evans, K. Fiest, T. Campbell, R.A. Marrie; for the CIHR Team in Epidemiology and Impact of Comorbidity on Multiple Sclerosis. 2017. Determinants of non-adherence to disease-modifying therapies in multiple sclerosis – a cross Canada prospective study. Multiple Sclerosis Journal, Apr;23(4): 588-596. DOI:10.1177/1352458516657440
- K. Furber, M. Van Agten, C. Evans, A. Haddadi, J.R. Doucette, A.J. Nazarali. 2017. Advances in the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: the role of pegylated interferon-B-1a. Degenerative Neurological and Neuromuscular Disease, 7, 1-15
- J. Wijnands, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, Y. Zhao, J. Fisk, C. Evans, RA Marrie, H. Tremlett. 2016 Infection-related health care utilization among people with and without multiple sclerosis, Multiple Sclerosis Journal, DOI: DOI: 10.1177/1352458516681198
- D. Blackburn, C. Evans, K. Mansell, D. Jorgenson, J. Taylor, W. Semchuk, Y. Shevchuk, A.J. Remillard, D. Eurich, D. Tran, A. Champagne. 2016. Community Pharmacists Assisting in Total Cardiovascular Health (CPATCH) – A cluster-randomized trial testing a focused adherence strategy in community pharmacies. Pharmacotherapy, 36, 1055-1064.
- ME Karim, P. Gustafson, J. Petkau, H. Tremlett, A. Shirani, Y. Zhao, C. Evans, E. Kingwell, ML van der Kop, J. Oger. 2016. Comparison of statistical approaches for dealing with immortal time bias in drug effectiveness studies. Am J Epid, 184; 325-335.
- C. Evans, R. A. Marrie, F. Zhu, S. Leung, X. Lu, D. Melesse, E. Kingwell, Y. Zhao, H. Tremlett. 2016. Adherence and persistence to drug therapies for multiple sclerosis: a population-based study. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders, 8; 78-85 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2016.05.006
- C. Renoux, S. Dell’Aniello, P. Khairy, C. Marras, S. Bugden, T. Chowdhury Turin, L. Blais, H. Tamim, C. Evans, R. Steele, C. Dormuth, P. Ernst, and the Canadian Network for Observational Drug Effects Studies (CNODES) investigators. 2016. Ventricular tachyarrythmia and sudden cardiac death with domperidone use in Parkinson’s disease. Br J Clin Pharmacol, DOI:10.1111/bcp.12964
- L. Lynd, A. Traboulsee, C. Marra, N. Mittman, C. Evans, K. Li, M. Carter, C. Hategekimana. 2016. Quantitative analysis of multiple sclerosis patients’ preferences for drug treatment: a best-worst scaling study. Ther Adv Neurol Disord, DOI: 10.1177/1756285616648060