BioDr. Dobson is an associate professor of Social and Administrative Pharmacy and managing director of the MERCURi Research Group. He teaches on a range of topics across the four years of the pharmacy undergraduate program including comparative health systems, pharmacy management, pharmacoeconomics, and health and pharmacy policy.
Dr. Dobson is engaged in a range of research topics including the social role of pharmaceutical companies, interprofessional practice and education, and the role of the pharmacist in primary care. He is also involved in research that considers the larger health care environment, with a particular focus on the work experiences of health care providers and the quality of patient care.
As co-lead of the MERCURi Research Group, Dr. Dobson is currently conducting a CIHR-funded study in Halifax and Saskatoon on the quality of stroke and acute myocardial infarction care as assessed by both patients and providers. He is also an active member of another interprofessional research team, led by Drs. Thomas Rotter and Donna Goodridge, studying the implementation and impact of LEAN, a quality improvement initiative, in Saskatchewan’s health care system.
- D. Goodridge, G. Westhorp, T. Rotter, R. Dobson and B. Bath (2015) Lean and leadership practices: Development of an initial realist program theory. Accepted by BMC Health Services Research
- L. Kinsman, T. Rotter, K. Stevenson, B. Bath, D. Goodrich, L. Harrison, R. Dobson, N. Sari, C. Jeffrey, C. Bourassa and G. Westhorp (2014) “The largest Lean transformation in the world”: the implementation and evaluation of Lean in Saskatchewan health care. Health Care Quarterly, 17 (2), 29-32.
- J. Pena-Sanchez, R. Lepnurm, D. Keegan, R. Dobson, and Silvia Bermedo-Carrasco (2014) Payment method as a predictor of daily distress experienced by physicians. Journal of Hospital Administration, 3 (5): 1-13.
- J. Pena-Sanchez, R. Lepnurm, R. Dobson, and D. Keegan (2014) Impact of payment methods on professional equity of physicians. Journal of Hospital Administration, 3 (2): 50-60.
- D. Ignacio, R. Extavour, P. Townsend and R. Dobson (2013) Pursuing additional pharmacy education among practicing pharmacists in Trinidad and Tobago. Pharmacy Education, 13 (1): 70-74.
- R. Lepnurn, D. Voigt, M. Lissel, R. Dobson and L. Stamler (2012) What matters most to patients when they assess the quality of care? Journal of Hospital Administration, 1 (2): 1-10.
- R. Lepnurm, R. Dobson, L. Stamler, D. Persaud, D. Keegan and B. Brownbridge (2012) The Contribution of work environment to nurses’ assessment of the quality of patient care. Healthcare Management Forum, 25 (2): 70-79.
- T. West and R. Dobson (2011) Research in progress: Corporate social responsibility in the pharmaceutical industry. Canadian Pharmacists Journal, 144 (5): 213-215.
- R. Dobson and J. Perepelkin (2011) Pharmacy ownership in Canada: Implications for the authority and autonomy of community pharmacy managers. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 7: 347-358.