Dr. Ekaterina (Kate) Dadachova joined U of S in November 2016. She is a Professor of Pharmacy at the College of Pharmacy and Nutrition and the Fedoruk Centre for Nuclear Innovation Chair in Radiopharmacy. Before joining U of S she was a Professor of Radiology, Microbiology and Immunology in the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, USA, where she was also Sylvia and Robert S. Olnick Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research. She received her PhD in Physical Chemistry from Moscow State University in Moscow, Russia, in 1992, and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in radiopharmaceutical chemistry at the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organization in Sydney, Australia.
Dadachova’s laboratory has pioneered the treatment of infectious diseases including fungal and bacterial infections and HIV with radiolabeled antibodies (so called radioimmunotherapy). Her other research interests are radioimmunotherapy of melanoma, blood cancers and osteosarcoma as well as the development of melanin-based radioprotectors for cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy, soldiers on the battlefield and astronauts in space. She has an active research program which is funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Saskatchewan Health Research Fund (SHRF), Canadian Space Agency (CSA), United States Department of Defense, National Institutes of Health (NIH), and pharmaceutical industry. In 2020 she was recognized with a Distinguished Researcher Award by U of S.
1) Helal M, Allen KJH, Burgess H, Jiao R, Malo ME, Hutcheson M, Dadachova E, Snead E. Safety Evaluation of an Alpha-Emitter Bismuth-213 Labeled Antibody to (1→3)-β-Glucan in Healthy Dogs as a Prelude for a Trial in Companion Dogs with Invasive Fungal Infections. Molecules. 25(16):3604 (2020).
2) van Dijk B, Lemans JVC, Hoogendoorn RM, Dadachova E, de Klerk JMH, Vogely HC, Weinans H, Lam MGEH, van der Wal BCH. Treating infections with ionizing radiation: a historical perspective and emerging techniques. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 9(1):121 (2020).
3) Garg R, Mills K, Allen KJH, Causey P, Perron RW, Gendron D, Sanche S, Berman JW, Gorny MK, Dadachova E. Comparison of various radioactive payloads for a human monoclonal antibody to glycoprotein 41 for elimination of HIV-infected cells. Nucl Med Biol. 82-83:80-88 (2020).
4) van Dijk B, Allen KJH, Helal M, Vogely HC, Lam MGEH, de Klerk JMH, Weinans H, van der Wal BCH, Dadachova E. Radioimmunotherapy of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in planktonic state and biofilms. PLoS One. 15(5):e0233086 (2020).
5) Alder-Rangel A, ….. Dadachova E, ….. Rangel DEN. The Third International Symposium on Fungal Stress - ISFUS. Fungal Biol. 124(5):235-252 (2020).
6) Jiao R, Allen KJH, Malo ME, Rickles D, Dadachova E. Evaluating the Combination of Radioimmunotherapy and Immunotherapy in a Melanoma Mouse Model. Int J Mol Sci. 21(3) pii: E773 (2020).
7) Malo, M.E., Frank C., Dadachova E. Radioadapted Wangiella dermatitidis senses radiation in its environment in a melanin-dependent fashion. Fungal Biol. 124(5):368-375 (2020).
8) Helal M., K.J.H. Allen, B. van Dijk, J.D. Nosanchuk, E. Snead, and E. Dadachova Radioimmunotherapy of blastomycosis in a mouse model with a (1→3)-β-glucans targeting antibody. Front. Microbiol. 11: 147 (2020).
9) Dadachova E. Future Vistas in Alpha Therapy of Infectious Diseases. J Med Imaging Radiat Sci. 50(4S1):S49-S52 (2019).
10) Karkare S, Allen KJH, Jiao R, Malo ME, Dawicki W, Helal M, Godson DL, Dickinson R, MacDonald-Dickinson V, Yang R, Hoang B, Gorlick R, Geller DS, Dadachova E. Detection and targeting insulin growth factor receptor type 2 (IGF2R) in osteosarcoma PDX in mouse models and in canine osteosarcoma tumors. Sci Rep. 9(1):11476 (2019).
11) Jiang Z, Albanese J, Kesterson J, Warrick J, Karabakhtsian R, Dadachova E, Phaëton R. Monoclonal Antibodies Against Human Papillomavirus E6 and E7 Oncoproteins Inhibit Tumor Growth in Experimental Cervical Cancer. Transl Oncol. 12(10):1289-1295 (2019).
12) Allen KJH, Jiao R, Malo ME, Frank C, Fisher DR, Rickles D, Dadachova E. Comparative Radioimmunotherapy of Experimental Melanoma with Novel Humanized Antibody to Melanin Labeled with 213Bismuth and 177Lutetium. Pharmaceutics. 11(7) pii: E348 (2019).
13) Jiao R, Allen KJH, Malo ME, Helal M, Jiang Z, Smart K, Buhl SV, Rickles D, Bryan RA, Dadachova E. Evaluation of novel highly specific antibodies to cancer testis antigen Centrin-1 for radioimmunoimaging and radioimmunotherapy of pancreatic cancer. Cancer Med. 8:5289–5300 (2019).
14) Dawicki W, K.J.H. Allen, R.Jiao, M. E. Malo, M. Helal, M. S. Berger, D. L. Ludwig, and E. Dadachova Daratumumab-225Actinium conjugate demonstrates greatly enhanced antitumor activity against experimental multiple myeloma tumors. Oncoimmunol. 8(8), e1607673 (2019).
15) Shuryak I, Dadachova E. Usefulness of continuous probability distributions of rates for modelling radionuclide biokinetics in humans and animals. Sci Rep. 9(1):1218 (2019).
16) Pacelli C, Selbmann L, Zucconi L, Coleine C, de Vera JP, Rabbow E, Böttger U, Dadachova E, Onofri S. Responses of the Black Fungus Cryomyces antarcticus to Simulated Mars and Space Conditions on Rock Analogues. Astrobiology. 19(2):209-220 (2019).
17) Allen KJH, Jiao R, Malo ME, Frank C, Dadachova E. Biodistribution of a Radiolabeled Antibody in Mice as an Approach to Evaluating Antibody Pharmacokinetics. Pharmaceutics. 10(4) pii: E262 (2018).
18) Pacelli C, Bryan RA, Onofri S, Selbmann L, Zucconi L, Shuryak I, Dadachova E. Survival and redox activity of Friedmanniomyces endolithicus, an Antarctic endemic black meristematic fungus, after gamma rays exposure. Fungal Biol.122(12):1222-1227 (2018).
19) Helal M, Dadachova E. Radioimmunotherapy as a Novel Approach in HIV, Bacterial, and Fungal Infectious Diseases. Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 33(8):330-335 (2018).
20) Allen KJH, Jiao R, Malo ME, Dadachova E. Evaluation of N-Succinimidyl S-Acetylthioacetate Ligand for Radiolabeling of Humanized Antibodies with 188Rhenium. Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 33(8):349-355 (2018).
21) Rangel DEN, Finlay RD, Hallsworth JE, Dadachova E, Gadd GM. Fungal strategies for dealing with environment- and agriculture-induced stresses. Fungal Biol. 122(6):602-612 (2018)
22) Selbmann L, Pacelli C, Zucconi L, Dadachova E, Moeller R, de Vera JP, Onofri S. Resistance of an Antarctic cryptoendolithic black fungus to radiation gives new insights of astrobiological relevance. Fungal Biol. 122(6):546-554 (2018).
23) Malo ME, Bryan RA, Shuryak I, Dadachova E. Morphological changes in melanized and non-melanized Cryptococcus neoformans cells post exposure to sparsely and densely ionizing radiation demonstrate protective effect of melanin. Fungal Biol. 122(6):449-456 (2018).
24) Alder-Rangel A, … Dadachova E, ….Rangel DEN. The second International Symposium on Fungal Stress: ISFUS. Fungal Biol. 122(6):386-399 (2018).
25) Jiang Z, Revskaya E, Fisher DR, Dadachova E. In vivo evaluation of free and chelated accelerator-produced Actinium-225 - radiation dosimetry and toxicity results. Curr Radiopharm. 11(3):215-222 (2018)
26) Nosanchuk JD, Jeyakumar A, Ray A, Revskaya E, Jiang Z, Bryan RA, Allen KJH, Jiao R, Malo ME, Gómez BL, Morgenstern A, Bruchertseifer F, Rickles D, Thornton GB, Bowen A, Casadevall A, Dadachova E. Structure-function analysis and therapeutic efficacy of antibodies to fungal melanin for melanoma radioimmunotherapy. Sci Rep. 8(1):5466 (2018).27) Pacelli C, Bryan RA, Onofri S, Selbmann L, Zucconi L, Shuryak I, Dadachova E. The effect of protracted X-ray exposure on cell survival and metabolic activity of fast and slow growing fungi capable of melanogenesis. Environ Microbiol Rep. 10(3):255-263 (2018).