Dr. Charity Evans is an Associate Professor of Pharmacy, teaching in the areas of evidence-based medicine, research methods, multiple sclerosis, and contraception. She received her BSP and PhD in Pharmacy from the University of Saskatchewan and completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of British Columbia. She is the Director of the Continuing Professional Development for Pharmacists program and medSask (medication information service), and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Saskatchewan Division.
Dr. Evans’s research program focuses on multiple sclerosis (MS), with a particular emphasis on the epidemiology and pharmacoepidemiology of the disease. She is a Principal Investigator with the Cameco MS Neurosciences Research Centre. Current research projects and collaborations are funded by the MS Society of Canada, the National MS Society (USA), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), and the Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation (SHRF) and include:
- Establishing the long-term safety and effectiveness of the disease-modifying therapies for MS
- Examining the impact of adherence to the MS disease-modifying therapies on clinical and health care utilization outcomes
- Individualized behavioural change strategies to increase physical activity in MS
- The epidemiology of MS in Saskatchewan
- Understanding and optimizing opioid use in long-term care
- F. Yusuf, J. Wignands, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, C. Evans, J. Fisk, Y. Zhao, R. A. Marrie, H. Tremlett. 2020. Fatigue, sleep disorders, anemia and pain in the multiple sclerosis prodrome. Multiple Sclerosis Journal. doi: 10.1177/1352458520908163. [Epub ahead of print]
- L. Al-Sakran, R.A. Marrie, D. Blackburn, K. Knox, C. Evans. 2020. Predictors of Hospitalizations in a Canadian MS Population: a Matched Cohort Study. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. Feb 25: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2020.102028 (Epub ahead of print)
- L. Al-Sakran, R.A. Marrie, D. Blackburn, K. Knox, C. Evans. 2020. Impact of comorbidity on hospitalizations in individuals newly diagnosed with multiple sclerosis: a longitudinal population-based study. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. Epub ahead of print: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2020.101955
- Y. Zhao, J. Wijands, T. Hogg, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, C. Evans, J. Fisk, R.A. Marrie, H. Tremlett. 2020. Interrogation of the Multiple Sclerosis Prodrome Using High Dimensional Health Data. Neuroepidemiology. 54:140-146Epub ahead of print: https://doi.org/10.1159/000505331
- E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, C. Evans, T. Duggan, J. Oger, H. Tremlett. Causes that contribute to excess mortality risk in multiple sclerosis: a population-based study. Neuroepidemiology. Epub ahead of print: https://doi.org/10.1159/000504804
- F. Goulding, C. Evans, K. Knox, H. Lim, M. Levin, S. Donkers. 2020. Individualized behaviour change strategies for physical activity in multiple sclerosis (IPAC-MS): protocol for a randomized controlled trail. Trials: 20:664, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-019-3768-7.
- R. A. Marrie, J. Wijnands, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, Y. Zhao, O. Ekuma, X. Lu, C. Evans, J. Fisk, H. Tremlett. 2019. Higher health care use before a clinically isolated syndrome with or without subsequent MS. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 35:42-49. doi: 10.1016/j.msard.2019.07.002.
- K. Buxton, L.M. Lix, A. Champagne, C. Evans, Y. Shevchuk, G. Teare, K. Mansell, D.F. Blackburn. Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose and Hypoglycemia-Related Hospitalization in a Population-Based Cohort of Canadian Patients With Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes. Can J Diabetes 2020;44:335-341
- D. Blackburn, C. Evans, H. Mansell, J. Taylor, D. Jorgenson, K. Mansell, Y. Shevchuk, S. Aladwan, G. Zhao, M. Wright. 2020. Impact of the SIMPL-SYNC Refill Synchronization Program on medication adherence: A pragmatic randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 60:328-335.
- L. Al-Sakran, R. A. Marrie, D. Blackburn, K. Knox, C. Evans. 2019. The Association Between Disease-modifying Therapies for Multiple Sclerosis and Healthcare Utilisation on a Population Level: a retrospective cohort study. BMJ Open: 9:e033599. doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-033599.
- D. Blackburn, S. Fowler, A. Crawley, S. Gerwing, J. Alcorn, H. Mansell, C. Evans, K. Mansell, J. Taylor, D. Joregenson, D. Larocque, T. Rotter, Y. Shevchuk. 2019. An advanced pharmacy practice experience for community pharmacies based on a clinical intervention targeting patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Journal of Pharmacy Practice. doi:10.1177/0897190019857410. [Epub ahead of print]
- Taylor J, Blackburn D, Evans C, Landry E. 2019. Timeline to See a Physician for Symptoms: Perspective of the Public. Self Care:10: 57-69.
- J. Wijnands, F. Zhu, E. Kingwell, Y. Zhao, C. Evans, J. Fisk, RA Marrie, H. Tremlett. 2019. The prodrome in relapsing remitting and primary progressive multiple sclerosis. European Journal of Neurology 26(7):1032-1036. doi: 10.1111/ene.13925.
- W. Culpepper , RA Marrie, A. Langer-Gould, M. Wallin, J. Campbell, L. Nelson, W. Kaye, L. Wagner, H. Tremlett, L. Chen, S. Leung, C. Evans, S. Yao, and N. LaRocca. 2019. Validation of an Algorithm for Identifying MS Cases in Administrative Health Claims Datasets. Neurology. 92, e1016-e1028
- K. Currie, C. Evans, K. Mansell, J. Perepelkin, D. Jorgenson. 2019. Community pharmacists experiences with the Saskatchewan medication assessment program. Canadian Pharmacists Journal. https://doi.org/10.1177/1715163519827980. (Published online February 27, 2019)
- J. Wijnands, O. Ekuma, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, Y. Zhao, J. Fisk, C. Evans, H. Tremlett, RA Marrie. 2018. MRI utilization during the diagnostic and post-diagnostic phases in multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 28: 138-144.
- S. Setayeshgar, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, T. Zhang, R. Carruthers, R. A. Marrie, C. Evans, H. Tremlett. 2019. Persistence and adherence to the new oral disease-modifying therapies for multiple sclerosis: a population-based study. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 27, 364-369
- T. Hoegg, J. Wijnands, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, X. Lu, C. Evans, J.D. Fisk, RA Marrie, Y. Zhao, H. Tremlett. 2018. Mining healthcare data for markers of the multiple sclerosis prodrome. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 25, 232-240
- L. Lynd, PhD, N. Henrich, C. Hategeka, C. Marra, N. Mittman, C. Evans, A. Traboulsee. 2018. Perspectives of Patients with Multiple Sclerosis on Drug Treatment: A Qualitative Study. International Journal of MS Care. 20, 269-277
- J. Wijnands, F. Zhu, E. Kingwell, Y. Zhao, C Evans, J.D. Fisk, R.A. Marrie, Y. Zhao, H. Tremlett.
2018. Five years before multiple sclerosis onsent: phenotyping the prodrome, Multiple
Sclerosis Journal, doi: 10.1177/1352458518783662. [Epub ahead of print]
- R.A. Marrie, O. Ekuma, J. Wijnands, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, Y. Zhao, J. Fisk, C. Evans, H. Tremlett. 2018. Identifying optic neuritis and transverse myelitis using administrative data. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 25, 258-264
- W. Duff, J. Andrushko, D. Renshaw, P. Chilibeck, J. Farthing, J. Danielson, C. Evans. 2018. The impact of Pilates exercises in multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial. International Journal of MS Care, 20, 92-100
- J. Wijnands, F. Zhu, E. Kingwell, J.D. Fisk, C. Evans, RA Marrie, Y. Zhao, H. Tremlett. 2018 Disease-modifying drugs for multiple sclerosis and infection risk: a cohort study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry 2018;0:17.doi:10.1136/jnnp-2017-317493 [Epub ahead of print]
- L. Al-Sakran, R.A. Marrie, D. Blackburn, K. Knox, C. Evans. 2018. Establishing the incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Saskatchewan. Can J Neurol Sciences, 45: 295-303
- K. Kowalec, K. McKay, S. Patten, J. Fisk, C. Evans, H. Tremlett, R.A. Marrie. 2017. Comorbidity increases the risk of relapse in multiple sclerosis: a prospective study. Neurology, 89, 1-7
- T. Zhang, E. Kingwell, F. Zhu, J. Petkau, L. Kastrukoff, R.A. Marrie, H. Tremlett, C. Evans. 2017. Effect of adherence to the first-generation injectable immunomodulatory drugs on disability accumulation in multiple sclerosis. BMJ Open 2017 Sep 29;7(9):e018612. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-018612.
- D. Melesse, RA Marrie, JF Blanchard, N. Yu, C. Evans. 2017. Persistence to disease-modifying therapies for multiple sclerosis in a Canadian cohort. Patient Preference and Adherence, 11, 1093-1101.
- C Evans, RA Marrie, F Zhu, S Leung, X Lu, E Kingwell, Y Zhao, H Tremlett. 2017. Adherence to Disease Modifying Therapies for Multiple Sclerosis and Subsequent Hospitalizations, Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 26, 702-711
- K McKay, C Evans, J Fisk, S Patten, K Fiest, RA Marrie, H Tremlett. 2017. Disease modifying therapies and adherence in multiple sclerosis: comparing patient self-report with pharmacy records. Neuroepidemiology, 48, 124-130
- H de Jong, E Kingwell, A Shirani, C Tervaert, R Hupperts, Y Zhao, C Evans, ML van der Kop, A Traboulsee, P Gustafson, J Petkau, RA Marrie, the BC MS Clinic Neurologists, H Tremlett. 2017. Evaluating the safety of beta-interferons in MS: a series of nested case- control studies. Neurology, 88, 2310-2320
- J Wijnands, E Kingwell, F Zhu, Y Zhao, T Högg, K Stadnyk, O Ekuma, X Lu, C Evans, J Fisk, RA Marrie. 2017. The multiple sclerosis prodrome: health care utilization increases in the five years before a first demyelinating event. Lancet Neurology, 16, 445-451
- K. McKay, H. Tremlett, S. Patten, J. Fisk, C. Evans, K. Fiest, T. Campbell, R.A. Marrie; for the CIHR Team in Epidemiology and Impact of Comorbidity on Multiple Sclerosis. 2017. Determinants of non-adherence to disease-modifying therapies in multiple sclerosis – a cross Canada prospective study. Multiple Sclerosis Journal, Apr;23(4): 588-596. DOI:10.1177/1352458516657440
- K. Furber, M. Van Agten, C. Evans, A. Haddadi, J.R. Doucette, A.J. Nazarali. 2017. Advances in the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: the role of pegylated interferon-B-1a. Degenerative Neurological and Neuromuscular Disease, 7, 1-15