Medicinal Chemistry and Physical Pharmacy (Undergraduate) and Analytical Mass Spectrometry (Graduate)
- Analytical mass spectrometry
- The biological fate of lipid based drug delivery systems
- Targeted metabolomics
- Substance abuse
Basic Science: Three main streams are being evaluated, focusing on the use of mass spectrometry (MS) for the analysis of small molecules in both qualitative and quantitative applications.
Stream 1: Assessing the biological fate of lipid-based drug delivery agents: We have established the tandem mass spectrometric (MS/MS) fingerprints of over 50 gemini surfactants, used as drug delivery agents. Six different MS-based quantification strategies (in tissue culture) were developed and validated. Model gemini surfactants, formulated as nanoparticles, showed similar uptake and removal from cells. Initial data, however, showed different subcellular distribution among various structures. Such discrepancies may provide insights into their efficiency and toxicity. In addition, we are developing MS-based methods to determine skin localization/penetration of novel gemini surfactant formulations. The goal is to highlight the relationship between the structure, efficiency and toxicity, so that newer and safer compounds are synthesized.
Stream 2: Urine metabolomics for biomarker discovery in respiratory illness: Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are common respiratory illnesses that reduce the quality of life and can result in premature death. Asthma, in particular, is common among young children, a vulnerable population that cannot perform conventional clinical diagnostic tests.
In collaboration with Dr. Darryl Adamko, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, we have been developing targeted HPLC-MS/MS methods for the analysis of 50 urinary metabolites that are linked to respiratory illness. Preliminary data showed separation among various test subjects based on their clinical condition. The end goal is to develop clinical MS-based testing that can aid in disease diagnosis and management.
Stream 3: Extraction of active metabolites from canola waste stream: Canada is a major world producer of canola oil. By-products from the crushing and refining process are either treated as waste or low value products. Therefore, extracting high value compounds from canola by-products represents an important value-added opportunity. We are developing extraction strategies to isolate biologically active metabolites from canola’s waste stream without the use of toxic solvents. LC-MS/MS methods are developed to profile the various extracts. Nanotechnology will be employed to formulate the isolated active metabolites into functional foods.
Applied Health Research: We evaluated barriers to accessing health services by People who Inject Drugs (PWIDs) in the city of Saskatoon, Canada. Focus groups with PWIDs and service providers revealed that stigma/discrimination, gaps in education/training and lack of resources hindered PWIDs access to services. Subsequently, we evaluated the educational needs (knowledge and skills) of pharmacists in the area of addiction and substance abuse. Based on the findings, we are developing and evaluating pharmacist/patient encounter protocol, referral guide and educational workshops [focusing on addiction management] for pharmacists, so that appropriate care is provided to patients struggling with the disease of addiction.
Recent Publications (2014-2017)
- Gachumi G and El-Aneed A.* Mass Spectrometric Approaches for the Analysis of Phytosterols in Biological Samples. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 65, 2017: 10141-10156.
- Khamis M, Adamko D, and El-Aneed A.* Development of a validated LC- MS/MS method for the quantification of 19 endogenous asthma/COPD potential urinary biomarkers. Analytica Chimica Acta, 989, 2017: 45-58.
- Mohammed-Saeid W, Michel D, Badea I, and El-Aneed A.* Rapid and Simple Flow Injection Analysis-Tandem Mass Spectrometric (FIA-MS/MS) Method for the Quantification of Melphalan in Lipid-Based Drug Delivery System. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 31, 2017: 1481–1490.
- Al‐Dulaymi M. and El-Aneed A.* Tandem Mass Spectrometric Analysis of Novel Peptide‐Modified Gemini Surfactants Used as Gene Delivery Vectors. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 52, 2017: 353–366.
- Chitanda JM, Zhang H, Pahl E, Purves RW and El-Aneed A.* The Development of Novel Nanodiamond Based MALDI Matrices for the Analysis of Small Organic Pharmaceuticals. Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry. 27, 2016:1686-93.
- El-Aneed A.* Editorial. Is HPLC-MS/MS the “Gold Standard” for Quantitative Analysis? J Pharm Anal Insights 1(4), 2016: doi http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/ jpai.e104
- Willems J, Khamis M.M, Mohammed-Saeid W, Purves RW, Katselis G, Low N, El-Aneed A. * Analysis of a Series of Chlorogenic Acid Isomers using Differential Ion Mobility and Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Analytica Chimica Acta. 933, 2016: 164-174.
- Donkuru M, Michel D, Awad H; Katselis G; El-Aneed A.* Hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography- tandem mass spectrometry quantitative method for the cellular analysis of varying structures of gemini surfactants designed as nanomaterial drug carriers. Journal of Chromatography A. 1446, 2016: 114–124.
- Awad H, Das U, Dimmock J, El-Aneed A.* Establishment of Tandem Mass Spectrometric Fingerprint of Novel Antineoplastic Curcumin Analogues using Electrospray Ionization. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 29, 2015: 1307-1316.
- Michel D, Gaunt M, Arnason T, and El-AneedA.* Development and validation of fast and simple flow injection analysis-tandem mass spectrometry (FIA-MS/MS) for the determination of metformin in dog serum. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 107, 2015: 229-235.
- Awad H, Khamis M and El-Aneed A*. Mass spectrometry, review of the basics: ionization. Applied Spectroscopy Reviews. 50 (2) 2015: 158-175.
- Khamis M, Adamko D, and El-Aneed A.* Mass Spectrometric Based Approaches in Urine Metabolomics and Biomarker Discovery. Mass Spectrometry Reviews. 9999, 2014, 1-20. DOI: 10.1002/mas.21455
- Buse J, Purves RW, Verrall RE, Badea I, Zhang H, Mulligan CC, Peru KM, Bailey J, Headley JV, El-Aneed A.* The Development and assessment of high-throughput mass spectrometry-based methods for the quantification of a nanoparticle drug delivery agent in cellular lysate. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 49 (11), 2014: 1171-1180.
- Awad H, Stoudemayer MJ, Usher L, Amster J, Cohen A, Das U, R. Whittal M, Dimmock J, and El-Aneed A*.The unexpected formation of [M-H]+ species during MALDI and Dopant free-APPI MS analysis of novel antineoplastic curcumin analogues. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 49 (11), 2014: 1139-1147.
- Donkuru M, Chitanda JM, Verrall RE and El-Aneed A*. Multi-stage tandem mass spectrometric analysis of novel β-cyclodextrin-substituted and novel bis-pyridinium gemini surfactants designed as nanomedical drug delivery agents. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 28 (7), 2014. 28: 757-772.