Dr. Charity Evans is an assistant professor of Pharmacy, teaching in the areas of evidence-based medicine, research methods, and contraception. She received her BSP and PhD in Pharmacy from the University of Saskatchewan and completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of British Columbia. She has recently taken on the role of director of the Continuing Professional Development for Pharmacists program and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Saskatchewan division.
Dr. Evans’s research program focuses on multiple sclerosis (MS), with a particular emphasis on the epidemiology and pharmacoepidemiology of the disease. She is a principal investigator with the Cameco MS Neurosciences Research Centre. Current research projects and collaborations are funded by the MS Society of Canada and the National MS Society (U.S.) and include:
- Multi-province study examining the impact of adherence to the MS disease-modifying therapies on clinical and health care utilization outcomes
- Multi-province study examining the potential existence of a prodromal phase in MS
- Assessing safety and monitoring in patients taking oral multiple sclerosis treatments
- K. Mansell, C. Evans, D. Tran, S. Sevany, 2016. The association between self-monitoring of blood glucose, hemoglobin A1c and testing patterns in community pharmacies: results of a pilot study. Canadian Pharmacists Journal: 149; 28-37.
- J. Stroeder, C. Evans, H. Mansell. 2015 Corticosteroid-induced bradycardia: Case report and review of the literature. Canadian Pharmacists Journal: 148; 235-240.
- T. Zhang, A. Shirani, Y Zhao, M. Karim, P. Gustafson, J. Petkau, C. Evans, E. Kingwell, M. van der Kop, F. Zhu, J. Oger, H. Tremlett. 2015. Beta-interferon exposure and onset of secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.European Journal of Neurology: 22; 990-1000.
- A. Shirani, Y. Zhao, J. Petkau, P. Gustafson, M. Karim, C. Evans, E. Kingwell, M. van der Kop, J. Oger, H. Tremlett. 2015. Multiple sclerosis in older adults: the clinical profile and impact of interferon beta treatment.BioMed Research International: volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 451912, 11 pages.
- C. Evans, F. Zhu, E. Kingwell, A. Shirani, M. van der Kop, J. Petkau, P. Gustafson, Y. Zhao, J., Oger, H. Tremlett. 2014. Association between beta-interferon exposure and hospital events in multiple sclerosis.Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety: 23; 1213-1222.
- M.E. Karim, P. Gustafson, J. Petkau, Y. Zhao, A. Shirani, E. Kingwell, C. Evans, M. van der Kop, J. Oger, H. Tremlett, 2014. Marginal Structural Cox Models for Estimating the Association Between β-Interferon Exposure and Disease Progression in a Multiple Sclerosis Cohort. Am. J. Epidemiol: 180; 160-171. AJE 2014 Article of the Year
- E. Kingwell, C Evans, F. Zhu, J. Oger, S. Hashimoto, H. Tremlett, 2014. Assessment of cancer risk with B-interferon treatment for multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry: 85; 1096-1102.
- N. Makhani, S. Morrow, J. Fisk, C. Evans, S.G. Beland, S. Kulaga, E. Kingwell, J. Marriott, J., Dykeman, N. Jette, T. Pringsheim, C. Wolfson, R.A. Marrie, M. Koch, 2014. MS incidence and prevalence in Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand: a systematic review. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders: 3; 48-60.