Dr. Bandy joined the College in 2002, following positions as Research Associate and Postodoctoral Fellow at the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil. He is a member of the Canadian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular & Cell Biology, the Canadian Society for Nutritional Sciences and the Society for Free Radical Biology and Medicine. He teaches undergraduate courses in Current Issues in Nutrition and Research Methods; contributes to senior Nutrition courses; coordinates and team teaches the graduate course Advances in Human Nutrition Research.
Chief areas of interest are oxidative stress and apoptosis; free radical biochemistry and antioxidant interactions; mitochondrial biogenesis and respiratory activities.
Our research investigates the mechanisms of cellular oxidative stress, and the interactions of antioxidant and pro-oxidant polyphenols such as flavonoids and quinones. We focus on mitochondria, which in addition to generating reactive oxygen species as a byproduct of respiratory activity, are the organelles controlling programmed cell death (apoptosis). We are interested in factors that modulate mitochondrial oxidant generation and damage, with implications for aging and age-related illnesses such as cancer, neurodegenerative disorders, and heart disease.
- Akhlaghi, M., Bandy, B. Protection by Plant Flavonoids Against Myocardial Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury (2013) Bioactive Food as Dietary Interventions for Cardiovascular Disease, pp. 415-429.
- Helal, M., Das, U., Bandy, B., Islam, A., Nazarali, A.J., Dimmock, J.R. Mitochondrial dysfunction contributes to the cytotoxicity of some 3,5-bis(benzylidene)-4-piperidone derivatives in colon HCT-116 cells (2013) Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 23 (4), pp. 1075-1078.
- Akhlaghi, M., Bandy, B. Preconditioning and acute effects of flavonoids in protecting cardiomyocytes from oxidative cell death (2012) Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, art. no. 782321.
- Ling, B., Peng, F., Alcorn, J., Lohmann, K., Bandy, B., Zello, G.A. D-Lactate altered mitochondrial energy production in rat brain and heart but not liver (2012) Nutrition and Metabolism, 9, art. no. 6.
- Das, S., Das, U., Bandy, B., Gorecki, D.K.J., Dimmock, J.R. 2-[4-(4 Methoxyphenylcarbonyloxy)benzylidene]-6-dimethylaminomethyl cyclohexanone hydrochloride: A Mannich base which inhibits the growth of some drug-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (2010) Pharmazie, 65 (11), pp. 849-850.
- Das, U., Das, S., Bandy, B., Gorecki, D.K.J., Dimmock, J.R. E-2-[3-(3,4-Dichlorophenyl)-1-oxo-2-propenyl]-3-methylquinoxaline-1, 4-dioxide: A lead antitubercular agent which alters mitochondrial respiration in rat liver (2010) European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 45 (10), pp. 4682-4686.
- Akhlaghi, M., Bandy, B. Dietary Broccoli Sprouts Protect Against Myocardial Oxidative Damage and Cell Death During Ischemia-Reperfusion (2010) Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 65 (3), pp. 193-199.
- Akhlaghi, M., Bandy, B. Dietary green tea extract increases phase 2 enzyme activities in protecting against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion (2010) Nutrition Research, 30 (1), pp. 32-39.