Council Meeting Highlights
Stay in the loop by checking out this page! Our council meets every Monday morning before school. This page will keep you up to date on what we have discussed!
Get more involved with the council by suggesting an agenda item!
Term 2 Clothing Sales
- The SPNSS term 2 clothing sales will be happening this week and will feature newly designed athletic clothing! More info about sale times, item availability, and prices can be found on our website and has been emailed out to members as well.
Canadian Obesity Network – Student Chapter (CON-SNP)
- Some of our nutrition students including our co-president, Paige, are in the process of opening a student chapter for the Canadian Obesity Network at the U of S. This student chapter is meant to be an interdisciplinary group with a focus on obesity and health. If you’re interested in becoming a member, there will be a Google Doc to sign up. Keep your eyes open for more info in the future!
- Elections will be opening up on February 26th! If you’re interested in learning more about a SPNSS council position, consider contacting the current position holders to learn more.
Article with the Sheaf
- Our co-presidents, Paige and Shayan, were interviewed for an article by the Sheaf. The interview was regarding student groups and Alcohol Policies. The article should be out soon!
Pledge Ceremony Recap
- The First-Year Pledge to Professionalism Ceremony went well with great attendance. Thank you to everyone who attended!
- The Curling Bonspiel will be happening this March 3rd from 7 to 10 pm at the Granite Curling Club!
Student-Faculty Wine and Cheese Night
- The SPNSS is in the process of planning this event which will be taking place on Monday, March 12th, 2018. Tickets will be sold approximately 2 weeks before the event. Check the FB event page or ask your room rep if you have questions!
First-Year Pledge to Professionalism Ceremony
- The Pledge Ceremony for our first-year pharmacy and nutrition students will be taking place this Wednesday, January 31st at 4:30 pm in HLTH E1150.
- We are starting to plan for SPNSS elections which will be occurring from late February to early March. Keep an eye out for more information regarding elections in the future, especially if you are interested in running for a position on next year’s council.
- The SPNSS is currently planning a Grubcrawl around the end of March. Stay tuned for more info if you like food!
Dieticians of Canada (DC) Fundraising
- Current fundraisers include a taco-in-a-bag sale on Wednesday, January 31st at starting at 11:30 am in Health Sci D-wing, and a RYDE YXE Fundraiser on Sunday, February 4th!
- Thanks to the SPNSS members who completed our SPNSS survey! We’ll keep the feedback in mind for planning our future activities and events.
- At our change meeting we discussed what the SPNSS has done so far in the school year, and what we’ve got coming up in 2018! We’ve also considered possible ways to improve our activities and events in the following school year.
We’re looking for student feedback regarding SPNSS events and initiatives! Watch for an email regarding a SPNSS student survey in the next couple of weeks.
First-Year Pledge to Professionalism
Planning is underway for the 1st year pharmacy and nutrition students’ ceremony! It will take place on Wednesday, January 31st, 2018 (refer to SPNSS calendar).
Christmas Party Recap
- The Christmas Party last Friday, December 4th went well! Happy to see so many SPNSS members show up to the event!
CAPSI National Elections
- Currently happening!
Last Council Meeting of Term 1
- This was our last council meeting for this term, and the last meeting of the school year for 4th year pharmacy council members.
Winter Formal Recap
- Winter Formal, which took place last Friday, November 24th was a successful event! Preliminary venue planning for next year’s Winter Formal is underway.
- Winter Formal is coming up this Friday, November 24th, 2017! More information regarding the event and tickets can be found on our website.
SPNSS Christmas Party
- The SPNSS Christmas Party will be on December 1st, 2017 and is FREE for SPNSS MEMBERS (another one of the perks of being an SPNSS member).
- Sign up on the Google Doc (found in email and on our website) if you’re coming!
Microwaves in Health Sci E-wing 4th floor
- Reminder to keep those microwaves clean, please!
SPNSS Clothing Orders
- Your Pharmacy and Nutrition clothing orders will hopefully be ready by next Monday, November 6th, 2017.
- The USSU AGM is happening on November 23rd, 2017 at 6 pm in Arts 146, and is open to all interested students who want to attend.
- CAPSI now has its own public calendar that you can sync to your calendar!
- See the “Calendar” page under the “Events” tab on the SPNSS website for more info.
- CAPSI will be having a symposium regarding cancer immunotherapy on November 9th, 2017 at 5 pm – see your email for more details and to sign up!
Microwaves in Health Sci
- Our College has graciously provided us with two extra microwaves, as per the SPNSS’s request on behalf of the students! You can find them on the 4th floor of the Health Sciences Building in the E-wing.
- These microwaves are for SPNSS members only. If you haven’t gotten your membership yet, you can always contact your room rep to do so!
Meeting with the USSU VP Operations and Finance, and U of S Vice-Provost Teaching and Learning
- General policies and procedures regarding student group events were discussed to ensure planning of safe and enjoyable events!
- Winter Formal will be on November 24th, 2017!
- We are taking student’s suggestions for the formal’s charity until October 20th. Please contact our VP, Alida Boulianne, if you have any charities to suggest!
- Keep an eye out for more info regarding Winter Formal tickets as planning is underway.
USSU Transit Ad-hoc Committee
- The purpose of the transit ad-hoc committee is to focus on transit issues and communicate with councillors about making transit more accessible to students.
- If you are interested in being a member-at-large on the USSU’s transit ad-hoc committee, please contact our MSC, Ali McMillian!
Night Lights Glow Party Survey
- Keep an eye out for an email regarding a survey regarding the Night Lights Glow Party. We’d love to hear your feedback and take it into consideration when planning our future events for you!
Memorial Union Building (MUB) and Place Riel Renovations
- Both buildings have been undergoing renovations this past summer and some minor renovations will hopefully be completed over the Christmas break. These renovations include:
- Renovating the floors and hallways up to Louis Loft and around MUB
- Updating the large chairs in upper Place Riel by the bus stops
- PDW round 2 signup is now open! Check your email for more info.
- Taco-in-a-Bag Fundraising Sales
- The 1st sale of the year happened last week in the student lounge in THORV, and many bags were successfully sold.
- Will be taking place on Thursday, October 12th, 2017 at 4:45 pm in GB06
- Taco-in-a-bag will also be for sale again!
Night Lights Glow Party
- Night Lights took place last Friday, September 29th at Prairieland Park. We hope you all had as much fun as we did!
Intro to the USSU from USSU President, David D’eon
- The USSU does many things for the student body from throwing events, advocating on behalf of students, and representing students on a senior administrative level.
- If you ever have concerns or questions, the USSU is open to hearing from you!
College Strategic Planning Meeting
- The College is looking for more student input regarding its strategic plan. Refer to your email for more info.
Night Lights Glow Party
- Don’t miss out on the party this Friday, September 29th from 8:30 pm to 1 am!! Doors will be open till 10 pm.
- Check our ticket selling times on our website, or ask your room rep about buying tickets!
- If you’re interested in getting involved with the college by being part of a committee, you can still apply by Sept. 26th, 2017. Check your email for more info.
Professional Enhancement Day (PED)
- You can purchase tickets until this Wednesday at the latest so get your tickets before they’re gone!
- Competition dates and signups have been released via email.
- The grad clothing sale is happening this week! You can find selling times on the SPNSS calendar and more info through an email that was already sent out.
- Our college communication board with our posters and updates can be found in the E-wing of the Health Sciences building
- It’s not too late to get a membership!
- Refer to the membership benefits on the website (“About the SPNSS tab” à “Membership”) and ask your room rep if you have any questions!
SPNSS Clothing Sale
- The clothing sale has begun! Checkout the sale times on the website, and come down to the Student Lounge in Thorv to see some samples as well as order/pay.
- The mittens are a new item this year, and we have two new colours of sweatshirts and hoodies!
Night Lights Glow Party on Sept. 29th/17
- Ticket sales start this week in the Arts Tunnel. Get yours before they sell out! More info to come (stay updated via our social media).
- Remember that you’ll get a $5 ticket discount as an SPNSS member!
Events from previous week
- Included Bowling Night, Beach Volleyball, and the Student-Faculty Golf Tournament
- These events were successful with great student involvement!
- We’ve got upcoming events including the PDW Info Session (this Wednesday, Sept. 20th/17) and Run for the Cure (Oct. 1st/17)
- We’ve also got CAPSI competitions coming up in October so keep an eye open for more info!
- There will be a rally regarding tuition hikes on Sept. 29th/17 led by the Saskatchewan Student Coalition
- The USSU has introduced Co-curricular Records (CCR)
- Open Textbooks continues to grow
- Campus Club Week is this week!
Got a textbook you want to sell?
- Make use of the “Textbook Buy and Sell” page under the “Announcements” tab on our website
Welcome Week Events
- So far, great attendance at events!
- Looking forward to other events including bowling, volleyball, and golfing coming up in the week (more info/updates on our website and social media)
SPNSS Membership Forms and Fees
- Membership includes various benefits – ask your room rep for more info, and to pay fees!
- In addition to membership, you can order a yearbook
SPNSS Clothing Sale
- Happening next week (Sept. 18th to 22nd) – keep an eye out for updates through email and our social media
DC (Dieticians of Canada) Meet and Greet
- Scheduled for Oct. 16th, 2017
PharmD Welcome Event (held on Aug. 29th at Whiskey Jacks)
- Event was successful with many first years and upper year students attending
Welcome a new Yearbook Rep joining the SPNSS, Veronica Kim!
Respect for Faculty
- Reminder to address your faculty in a respectful and professional tone
- E.g. referring to your professors by “Dr. _____” or “Professor _____” instead of by their first names
- There is concern over tuition hikes, and the USSU would like the support of students who share this concern
- We are in the process of perfecting our upcoming college events for late September and early October. Refer to our SPNSS calendar for the dates, and keep up with our social media for more info!
Professional Development Week (PDW) 2021
- Will be hosted by the U of S in Saskatoon
- If you are a student (or possibly a college alumni member) interested in sending out an email to the entire college student body, please contact Erika King (email@example.com), our Public Relations Officer